Mission Statement: The Williams County Public Library exists to enhance and enrich the lives of all citizens of the county through accessible and broad information services.
Materials selection is done by professional staff who are qualified by education or training. The aim is to maintain a well-balanced, vital collection, useful to the community as a whole. Achievement of this aim requires an on going process of examination, evaluation, and the use of professional reviews. Factors affecting materials selection are availability of funds, space, the continuous publication of new titles, and the need to weed collections of out-dated and worn materials.
Final responsibility for selection rests with the Library Director, who administers the library under the authority of the Board of Trustees. Suggestions for purchase are very welcome from the general public and the staff, and are given serious consideration.
General Selection Criteria
All acquisitions, whether purchased or donated, are considered in terms of the following criteria:
- Competence and reputation of author and/or publisher.
- Attention of critics and reviews.
- Availability elsewhere.
- Relationship to existing collection and other media in the same subject field.
- Suitability of subject and method of presentation for intended audience.
- Qualities conducive to critical thought and understanding.
- Timeliness and importance for contemporary society.
- Importance as a document of the times.
- Relevance to present and projected community needs and demands.
- Suitability of physical format for library purposes.
Approved: April 15, 2002